Fiery Hot Potato Fry


This is a simple Potato fry ; simple to make but a powerful & delicious curry. I think for the South-Indian vegetarians specially tamils, onion sambar and potato fry is an heavenly combo. This is a must-have in most lunch feasts. I am calling it fiery hot just for the colour. Otherwise, for the spices I have used, it is not too spicy; just moderate. (In the Indian standards) If you are particular in having less spicy food, add a little powder at a time and check for yourself. An abundant caution! I have used a little more oil than I usually do, to make this fry tastier. I don't always use so much oil and it is an occasional indulgence. Better be watchful!

You can make this curry, mix with hot rice and add 2 tsp of spice powder & a little extra salt to come up with the potato rice, I was talking about in my recipe for tomato rice. This tastes great for lunch boxes and go less on the spice content , if you are making it for kids. For the rice, I cut the potatoes even smaller in order to get more chunks of it in a uniform manner.

Ingredients:
Potatoes - 4 medium (Boiled, peeled and diced into small cubes or alternatively raw potatoes diced)
Onion - half or one, finely chopped
Curry leaves - a few
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1.5 tsp to 2 tsp
Sambar powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1.5 tablespoon
Mustard - 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
Salt to taste

Method:
1. Heat half a tablespoon oil, add mustard and wait till it pops. Add the hing, curry leaves and onions. Fry till the onion turns brown and crispy.
2. Add the diced potatoes. If you are using raw ones, sprinkle little water and cook covered till done.
3. Sprinkle the spice powders and salt such a way that almost all the pieces are covered. Pour the remaining oil on top and fry(uncovered) till the potatoes get nicely roasted and coated with the masala.


Serve hot with rice. This curry is versatile & tastes great with all - sambar, rasam and curd. You can also fill this in dosa and serve it as masala dosa. But point to be noted is the potato masala used for authentic masala dosa is different.

Tip: For any roast curry, don't add all the oil in the beginning. Add a little by little from time to time and fry well ; more so, when you are adding raw vegetables. This way you get crispier curries with comparitively less oil. You also don't have the risk of adding excess oil due to lack of proper judgement.

Check one more kind of aloo fry here.

12 comments:

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow yummy potato fry..no one will say no to this...

Anonymous said...

luv this fry...looks so so so tasty
will surely try....tempting click

lata raja said...

These are red hot spiced potatoes can I have some now to go with thakkali saadham I'm cooking for lunch?

Chitra said...

Thanks vidya, i was searching this recipe..have bookmarked it :)

Faiza Ali said...

Looks yummy and spicy.

Naarya said...

potatoes are my all time fav and i love this fry. my mom never made this at home as she was ultra nutrition conscious (but tht doesnt reflect me..) So, we used to wait for my uncle to visit us, and we would ask him to make it. Lovely Sree, brought back some memories and i cudnt agree more when u said its a feast for us southies to have this with sambar!

Sree vidya said...

Thanx gals. You all made my day.
@Latha: Leave the shipping address :D
@Chitra: Sure. Try it
Thanx Pavithra, Sangi & Faiza
Thanx Bittu. Your mother is so conscious? That's nice. Yup. Sambar & potato - mouth-watering.

Uma said...

I love this curry! looks so tempting and yummy. You have a nice blog :)

Nithya said...

I love potatoes and this one looks tempting. :)

I guess this is my first time here. but sure will be here often. :)

Sushma Mallya said...

hi vidya..first time to ur blog...must say its a very nice...and delicious potato dish as well....

Unknown said...

I can have this for lunch everyday! I have never tried adding sambar powder to this though. Will try it next time I make it.

amna said...

my husband wud love this! he'd eat it every day :)