Back again in the New Year!
Starting off this wonderful year with a conventional sweet - Paal Poli
This is yummy and very easy to make; quick too.
Some people also call this Paal Puri
Paal Poli - Milk Pancakes are nothing but maida puris soaked in warm thickened milk, delicately flavored with saffron, stunningly delicious!
Ingredients & Method:
For the milk
- Full cream milk - About 1 litre(Used organic whole milk I didn't measure mine. Just an approximate figure. )
- Sugar - About half a cup (To make the milk sweet enough)
- Condensed milk (optional. If it's sweetened, keep an eye on the sugar, you add)
- Cashew/Almond Paste(Again optional - I used a handful of them; Remove the almond skin before making the paste)
- Saffron - a few strands
Boil for a minute
Soak the saffron in a little warm milk and mix it together.
For the Puri:
- Maida - 1 cup
- Rava - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 2tsp
- Water - to make a firm dough
- Oil - to fry
Knead the above ingredients (excluding oil of course) and make a firm dough. Let it rest for 15 min giving some time for rawa to become soft.
Make marble sized balls, roll it into fairly thin puris and deep fry.
The oil should be medium hot.
Transfer the puris to a paper towel
You can also cut the puris into half before frying or fry and then fold the puris before soaking in milk or leave it as such :)
While rolling out, you can fold the puris once or twice and then again roll it out. This will result in layered puris which on soaking in milk will be spongier. If you are lazy, skip this. No harm.
Soak the puris in the prepared milk when it's warm.
Serve after 15 minutes.
The more you soak, better it is.
Serve it warm/chilled
Have a great '11!