Sakkarai pongal

Hi all,
I have always been passionate about food. Till I was in Chennai, it was limited to eating alone. Now that I'm left with no option, I started cooking too. But still I love it and thought why not share my recipes online. Here comes my first recipe. With pongal around the corner, let me start with the sakkarai pongal recipe.



Ingredients

Rice - 2 cups
Moong dhal - 2 cups
Jaggery - 3 cups
Cardomom - 6
Melted Ghee - 1 cup
Milk - 1 cup

For garnishing
Cashews - 1/4 cup
Raisins - 1/4 cup

Method
Fry the moong dhal on a dry tawa till the color changes slightly.
Add rice, mix both with double the amount of water (I added a little milk too) and cook in a pressure cooker.
Now boil jaggery with a cup of water and cook till it boils.Strain to remove any stones or particles.
Now add one cup of milk, jaggery syrup to the cooked rice and dhal mixture and stir continuously over slow fire
Add ghee and mix well.
Now season with cashews, raisins fried in ghee and sprinkle cardomom powder.

Happy pongal!!!

Update: Last time,I made this I had to add double the amount of jaggery since the jaggery, I got was not sweet enough. You can use 1: 2or 2.5 rice:jaggery for real sweet pongal.
You can also reduce the amount of dal if you don't like too much dal.

8 comments:

Weejay said...

way to go sreeee kalakura soooooooooper

Naarya said...

heyyyyyyyyy!!!
welcome to blogger!! (ennanmo naan than site-a own panra maathiri welcome panren paaru..)
its too early to start commenting on ur recipes..cos i am not trying them right now. But after i come thr...i think i ll also hv lots of time to spare...appo i ll ask hari to try these out and give u feedback he!! he!! :D :D

Sathya said...

Hey Vidya.. Good Start.. Keep it coming..

Unknown said...

Hey Vidya, nice blog! The photos are superb! I'll try the recipes and let you know!

Gowtham said...

too bad.. u haven't mentioned abt who has been urging u to start this... :P

Sree vidya said...

hehe kandipa u r one of the reasons
enoda inoru friend um romba solitu irunda
so rendu perum karanam plus of kors roshan kooda

Anonymous said...

Hi Vidhya,

This is Anu from My Scrawls. Your sakkarai pongal looks yummy and delicious! I guess this is your first post as blogger. Even am a novice blogger and Sakkarai pongal was my first post in Anu's Kitchen section of my blog!!!

I went thru all your recipes. Absolutely mouth watering! Do check my blog when u find time. Your comments are highly appreciated :)

Unknown said...

Pongal looks delicious. My first recipe was sakkarai pongal too!